Pacifier, Yay or Nay?

For the last couple of days, I've been questioning if we should be a little more relaxed about giving AJ a pacifier, I've been reading up on the pros and cons of giving her a pacifier and as much as I know it's FINE.. I have my doubts about it.

Credit: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pacifiers/PR00067

The pros

For some babies, pacifiers are the key to contentment between feedings. Consider the advantages:
  • A pacifier might soothe a fussy baby. Some babies are happiest when they're sucking on something.
  • A pacifier offers temporary distraction. A pacifier might come in handy during shots, blood tests or other procedures.
  • A pacifier might help your baby fall asleep. If your baby has trouble settling down, a pacifier might do the trick.
  • A pacifier might ease discomfort during flights. Babies can't intentionally "pop" their ears by swallowing or yawning to relieve ear pain caused by air pressure changes. Sucking on a pacifier might help.
  • Pacifiers might help reduce the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS). Researchers have found an association between pacifier use during sleep and a reduced risk of SIDS.
  • Pacifiers are disposable. When it's time to stop using pacifiers, you can throw them away. If your child prefers to suck on his or her thumb or fingers, it might be more difficult to break the habit.

The cons

Of course, pacifiers have pitfalls as well. Consider the drawbacks:
  • Early pacifier use might interfere with breast-feeding. Sucking on a breast is different from sucking on a pacifier or bottle, and some babies are sensitive to those differences. Research suggests that early use of artificial nipples is associated with decreased exclusive breast-feeding and duration of breast-feeding — although it's not clear if artificial nipples cause breast-feeding problems or serve as a solution to an existing problem.
  • Your baby might become dependent on the pacifier. If your baby uses a pacifier to sleep, you might face frequent middle-of-the-night crying spells when the pacifier falls out of your baby's mouth.
  • Pacifier use might increase the risk of middle ear infections. However, rates of middle ear infections are generally lowest from birth to age 6 months — when the risk of SIDS is the highest and your baby might be most interested in a pacifier.
  • Prolonged pacifier use might lead to dental problems. Normal pacifier use during the first few years of life doesn't cause long-term dental problems. However, prolonged pacifier use might cause a child's top front teeth to slant outward or not come in properly.

On and off, I've been giving AJ a pacifier the past few days only because she starting sucking air while being swaddled and I didn't want her doing that.

What I do is, when she fusses and seem to need some comfort/help to fall asleep, I give her the pacifier for about 15 minutes and when she falls asleep (still sucking), I remove it.  Lucky for me, she doesn't wakes up crying after it has been removed.  My point being, I don't want her to be too dependant on it. 

Before the pacifier, I allowed her to fall asleep while sucking on my empty breast but I know that has to stop some how or rather because:

1) My breast were getting a little sore

2) I was bounded on the bed and couldn't get anything else done

3) I am going back to work.

Of course the pacifier kinda confuses us a little at this point of time, now I have trouble telling if she's hungry or if she just needs to suck.  We have wasted a whole lot of milk powder already and it is so bad to waste!!!

I guess the our current stratergy is to try and try and try to coax and when all else fails.. We will bring out the small tiny savior.

I am exhausted and chanting.. patience, patience, patience.

Motherhood rocks socks.  I will get there someday.

On a lighter note, we had lunch with Uncle Raymond today!

PS: Do not worry, she was in this position for less then a minute.


Double Chin, Triple Chin, Baby you can't run away from them.

Goodnight world, I hope you've had a great Friday.  Those partying.. and drinking your liver away.. Party like a rockstar on my behalf.

PPS: Happy 7th Month of Marriage Papa J, I love you!

XXXX,
AJ


Comments

Popular Posts